Pulusu is a close cousin of Sambar. The main difference between a Pulusu and Sambar is that the latter has dal and sambar powder. In other words, making Pulusu is way easier (which is awesome). It goes great with rice and like sambar and wine, it ages with time!
Vegetables etc. Edit
- Pumpkin or Lauki - Cut into cubes, as much as you would like to make
- Tomato - 1 (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilies - 1-2 (slit into halves)
- Cilantro - half cup when finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chickpea flour - 1Tbsp
- Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sugar/Jaggery - 2 tsps
- Sesame seeds -2 tsps, roasted and coarsely grounded
- Salt to taste
- Chana Dal - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Methi seeds - 8 seeds
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 1, broken into smaller pieces
- Curry Leaves - 4-5
- Ghee/Oil - 2-3 tsps
- In a deep pan/pot add the pumpkin cubes, tomato green chilies, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar/jaggery. Fill the pot with water such that the cubes are just covered with water and set this on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or till the pumpkin cubes are half cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl add the chickpea flour, tamarind, water (abt half cup), remaining salt and sugar to prepare a paste. Make sure that lumps do not form.
- Once the pumpkin is half cooked, add this chickpea flour-tamarind paste and stir. Let this simmer for about 5 more minutes or till the pumpkin is done.
- For tempering, in a tempering pan, add ghee/oil. When the ghee is hot, add chana dal and urad dal, once this changes color, add methi seeds. The methi seeds should soon change color, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds to the mix. Finally, add red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Quickly add the above mixture to the pumpkin stew and mix well.
- Add the sesame seed powder and cilantro and let it simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust salt/sugar and enjoy with rice!
Good to knowEdit
Pulusu can be prepared with any vegetable (lauki, sweet potato, pumpkin, okra, acorn squash etc.) You can use a mix of vegetables too.